Seeking Fire Chief - Charter Township of Harrison
Harrison Township is a municipality on the western shores of Lake St. Clair in Macomb County. The township consists of just over 26,000 residents and is home to Selfridge Air National Guard Base. The mouth of the Clinton River runs through Harrison Township and our eastern boundary is comprised of 15 miles of shoreline along Lake St. Clair. Harrison Township participates in mutual aid with the rest of the Macomb County Fire Departments, and has an automatic aid agreement with the City of Mt. Clemens. Besides the chief, the fire department consists of 27 AEMT trained firefighters as well as one fire inspector. The department operation is supported primarily by a fire millage and secondarily by revenue generated by a transport operation combining for a $6.7 million budget.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Direct all activities of the Fire Department in the Prevention and Extinguishment of Fires provision of Emergency Medical Services, and Rescue Services.
- Assign duties and determine work schedules for Department employees through subordinate commanders or by direct order, as the situation may demand.
- Appoint, transfer and promote employees in accordance with civil service procedures.
- Develop departmental goals, draft and enforce departmental rules and regulations, develop and administer policy.
- Direct appropriate training programs for all firefighting personnel, and designate personnel to carry out the training, including pre-fire planning and surveys.
- Regularly review activities of fire personnel and reports from staff. Submit activity reports to the Township Supervisor as required.
- Conduct staff meetings and hold meetings with Union committees and the Union Executive Board.
- As required, enforce discipline and efficient operations through such actions as removal, suspension, reprimands, admonishment or demotion within Civil Service and Collective Bargaining Agreement guidelines. Provide commendations or other recognition of conduct or service above required duties.
- Attend major fire, rescue and hazardous materials incidents and provide general supervision for emergency operations according to knowledge of accepted procedures.
- Direct appropriate maintenance programs for station apparatus and equipment and ensure they are followed as intended.
- Direct enforcement of all state local Fire Prevention laws and ordinances in the Township.
- Recommend an annual budget for the Fire Department and monitor expenditures within approved budget limitations. Project capital expenditures.
- Develop long term plans for improving and maintaining effective operations.
- Draft specifications for emergency response equipment and apparatus in order to secure bids or estimate costs for purchase of same.
- Maintain familiarity with new regulations, policies and organization procedures, which have a bearing on the fire department. Ensure Fire Department compliance with all federal, state and local laws and ordinances.
- Attend any township meetings including meetings of the Board of Trustees as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Fire Science, Public Administration or related field.
- At least five (5) years of progressive command experience in a full time career or majority full-time career department at a position of Captain or above within the last twelve (12) months.
- Experience in command and operation of a fire department providing Advanced Life Support (Transporting ALS is preferred.)
- Certification as Fire Officer One, Two and Three or equivalent.
- Experience in Fire Prevention and Emergency Management.
- Must possess Advanced Life Support certification.
The Fire Chief is a contracted position with a salary of $85,000 - $100,000.
The township offers a competitive benefit package including health care, dental, optical, life insurance, and disability coverage along with a contribution to a tax advantaged retirement savings plan.
Candidates seeking to apply for Fire Chief should send their cover letter, resume, and other relevant material to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail to “The Supervisor’s Office” 38151 L’Anse Creuse Harrison Twp. MI 48045. Applications are due no later than May 1st 2019.
PART-TIME MAINTENANCE WORKER
Seeking a highly motivated individual to assist with the maintenance of Township buildings and parks. Duties include but not limited to; cleaning of facilities, opening/closing of Township parks, watering of Township gardens and monitoring/repairing of building assets.
15-30 hours per week at a rate of $12.00 per hour
PART-TIME SUMMER GROUND MAINTENANCE
Seeking a highly motivated individual to assist and groom municipal gardens and township parks. Potential candidates may include a high school and or/ college students studying horticulture, as well as adults with landscaping and gardening experience or education.
10-20 hours per week at a rate of $10.00-$15.00 per hour